Tonight is the premier of the new season of Extreme Couponing on TLC! The show will air on Wednesday nights at 9:00pm Central Time.
In case you haven’t caught Extreme Couponing in the past, here is the show description from TLC’s website:
Extreme Couponing follows savvy shoppers as they plan and plot their way to unbelievable savings.
Witness amazing shopping skills and shocking stockpiles of merchandise, as everyday people go to extremes in pursuit of extraordinary deals.
Controversy & My Opinion
There has been a lot of controversy from veteran couponers about the show being a little too “extreme.” My opinion is that is shows how much can truly be saved by the use of shopping strategies and coupons. It shows the “non-couponers” how much money can truly be saved through the use of sale research and coupons. (True, no one NEEDS 2,715 boxes of cereal, BUT you might need to stock up on 10, 20, or 50 if your family goes through a box a day and it’s at an incredible price with coupons.)
To anyone that has just started couponing or is just starting because of the show Extreme Couponing, WELCOME! I would recommend that you check out my How to Coupon page, and also browse through the Couponing Tips that I have blogged about. Let me know if you have any questions; I’ll be happy to guide anyone through beginning (or advanced) couponing!
Extreme Couponing Games & Quizzes
Here are a few fun things you can do on the Extreme Couponing Web Page! (Great for lunch-break boredom! 🙂 )
- Coupon Challenge Game – See how fast you can match your coupons to the products at the checkout!
- Grocery Prices Quiz – Do you know the prices of basic grocery items? (I failed at this… so used to knowing only what I will pay after a sale and coupon, not the retail price!!)
- Casting Call – Think you’re an extreme couponer? Apply to be on the show!
If a store is out of the sale item that you wanted, ask for a rain check!!
- A rain check is simply a voucher for the particular item you wanted at the SALE PRICE!!!
- It happens to all of us that we get to the store with a great shopping list, and they are out of 3 products we NEEDED!!! This is why you should always request a rain check for the items you missed out on that week.
- At drug stores, the cashier can issue a rain check. At grocery stores, you’ll need to go to customer service to request your rain check.
- These are the stores that I have personally received and redeemed rain checks for: CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens, Publix, Kroger.
- CVS and Walgreens rain checks NEVER expire.
- Publix, Rite Aid, and Kroger rain checks expire 30 days after they are written.
- I always paper clip my rain check to a clipped picture from the ad and my coupon I plan to use. This is not necessary, but it helps me stay organized and remember which sale item I missed.
- Make sure that you try to redeem your rain check before it expires, AND before your coupon expires!!
Visit my How to Coupon page for my crash course in how to coupon!
Learn to organize coupons, stack coupons, and optimize your savings!
Let me know if you have any questions; I’ll be happy to help!
Walmart is not always the best place to go to coupon (for me), because they don’t double coupons; HOWEVER, they have had some GREAT deals lately. Sometimes their prices are low enough to get things for free OR have overages.
***Remember, Walmart allows for overages!!! So, if you had a negative balance they would PAY you, OR you could apply it to the rest of your purchase to get something you need!***
Here are the items I’m going to try to pick up at Walmart this week:
(2) Bengay @ $4.23 each = $8.46
(1) Country Crock Honey Spread @ $.98
(2) Nesquick 7 pack @ $1 = $2.00
(2) French’s Mustard @ $1 = $2.00
(4) Nexcare Bandages @ $1 = $4.00
(1) Noxema Bikini Shaver @ $1.97
(2) Dial Lotion Travel Size @ $.97 = $1.94
(1) All You Magazine @ $1.88 (On Rollback!)
(2) $5 off Bengay – Printable Coupon
(1) $1 off Country Crock Honey Spread – All You Coupon
(2) $1 off Nesquick – RP6.5
(2) $1 off French’s – Printable
(4) $1 off Nexcare – Printable Coupon
(1) $2 off Noxema Shavers – RP7.10
(2) $1 off Dial Lotion – Facebook Printable
Total OOP (Out of Pocket): $.20
Total Percent Savings: 99% !!!
I’ve also read rumors that the Schick Hydro Razors are on sale for $3.97, so I’m going to take my $4 off Schick coupon from SS6.12 just in case!!! That would make the total $.17.
It is very important that you are aware of each store’s coupon policy before you shop.
Here is the Target Coupon Policy via their website:
Target Stores Coupon Policy
Coupons are a great way to save even more when shopping with us, and it’s easy to use them at our stores. When accepting coupons, we follow the guidelines below.
Manufacturer and Target Coupons:
- Target accepts one Manufacturer Coupon and one Target Coupon for the same item (unless prohibited by either coupon).
- Item purchased must match the coupon description (brand, size, quantity, color, flavor, etc.).
- Coupon amount may be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied.
- We can’t give cash back if the face value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item.
- All valid coupons should be presented to the cashier during checkout.
- All applicable sales taxes are paid by the guest at the full value of the item.
- These guidelines apply to all coupons accepted at Target (Color Checkout Coupons, Internet Coupons, Mobile Coupons, Mailed Coupons, Coupons from Newspapers and Magazines, etc.).
Internet (Print-at-Home) Coupons:
- We gladly accept valid internet coupons that contain a clear and scannable bar code.
- We do not accept internet coupons for free items with no purchase requirements.
- Guests can receive Target Mobile Coupons by signing up for Text Alerts at Target.com/mobile or by texting COUPONS to 827438 (TARGET).
- Message and data rates may apply. See site for full details.
- To redeem, simply show your coupon barcode to the cashier. With one simple scan, all applicable coupons are applied.
Buy One Get One Free Coupons (BOGO):
- BOGO coupons cannot be combined (i.e. you cannot use two BOGO coupons on two items and get both for free). Unless stated otherwise on the coupon, the use of one Buy One Get One Free coupon requires that two of the valid items are presented at checkout of which one item will be charged to the guest and the 2nd item will be discounted by its full retail price.
- A second cents-off coupon of the same type cannot be redeemed towards the purchase price of the first item.
o If a Target BOGO coupon is used, one additional manufacturer coupon may be used on the first item.
o If a Manufacturer BOGO coupon is used, one additional Target coupon may be used on the first item.
- Coupons are void if copied, scanned, transferred, purchased, sold, prohibited by law, or appear altered in any way.
- We can’t accept coupons from other retailers, or coupons for products not carried in our stores.
- Some items may not be available at all stores.
- We do not accept expired coupons.
Source: Target Stores Coupon Policy
It is very important that you are aware of each store’s coupon policy before you shop.
Here is the Publix Coupon Policy via their website:
“Publix accepts manufacturers’ coupons (limit one per item), Publix coupons (originals only—no copies), valid Internet coupons, and coupons from nearby competitors identified by each Publix store. (Competitor names are posted at each Publix store.) We will accept coupons from competing pharmacies for prescriptions only. We will not accept percent-off-items or percent-off-total-order coupons. We will only accept coupons for identical merchandise we sell. Acceptance is subject to any restrictions on the coupon, and we reserve the right to limit quantities. Manager approval is needed for individual coupons above $5.00. For a buy-one-get-one free (BOGO) offer, each item is considered a separate sale. We will accept a manufacturer’s coupon and either a Publix or a competitor coupon on the same item. Dollars-off-total-order coupons will be limited to one Publix and one competitor coupon per order. The order total must be equal to or greater than the total purchase requirements indicated on the coupon(s) presented. ”
Source: Publix Coupon Policy
Welcome to Saved by the Sale!
Here are some of the things you can expect on my site:
- How to Coupon
- Where to Find Coupons
- Downloadable Files – To help organize your shopping lists and your savings
- Grocery Store Deals and Sale Strategies
- Drug Store Deals and Coupon Strategies
- Deal Alerts – For freebies, samples, and new printable coupons
If you have any questions, I’ll be happy to help! Contact Me
* Christine *